Thursday, March 18, 2010

SAY WHAT ?

*** Long ago & far away ,I was the football coach at a small town powerhouse in East Tennessee. The coach before me was a legend in the area.

Coach King had coached the team more than 25 years & had won 2 State Championships. Coach King had stepped down due to health issues. He had a light heart attack & had to give up coaching.

The 2 or 3 times I left a job because of health reasons, it was cause everybody was sick of me .

The team was very good so we had a radio show that reached a large area. Not only did they broadcast the game but did an interview with the coach before & after the game .

Lynn & Buster were the radio hosts & Coach King would ask me questions after the game. As all of East Tennessee were on the edge of their seat listening to my spell -binding answer ,something happened.

Right in the middle of my answer , Coach King in his mountain twang screamed what sounded like "SHEET FAR"!

Lynn grabbed the mike & told the shocked listeners " Coach King has just been stung by a wasp".

Coach King said " The Esso Bee got me on the elbow" . How Coach King knew where that wasp gassed up was beyond me . Such words had not been spoken on the radio in 1976, not before our show anyway.

Now ,I knew there was a wasp nest in the press box but I didn't figure they would bother anybody . I never dreamed the wasp would attack Coach King like the Japs did Pearl Harbor .

Coach King recovered & is still doing okay today . Coach King & I were the same age when we had our heart attacks . I hope I have as many years post-heart -attack as Coach has .

Coach King taught me that players are most important . He used to say " It's not how you line up, It's who you line up."

THANK YOU FOR READING & MAKING US PART OF YOUR DAY !!

No comments:

Post a Comment