Monday, March 1, 2010

RICKY & ME

*** I go back a long long way with Rick Sullivan . Rick is a great coach with much success at Craigmont, Haywood County , & Fayette Academy .

Our path together is over 40 years long . I attended 2 colleges with Rick & did two tours of coaching duty with Rick . I learned a lot of basketball along the way .

Our first tour we didn't win more than 2 or 3 games . The next tour we didn't lose more than 2 or 3 games . It all balanced out .

We really grew up together
as coaches. We both had wonderful wifes to keep us straight . Although Freda's job was much more easy than Chilli Pepper's.

I helped Rick get fired from one job & hired at the next one . We didn't get the ax for losing but being on the wrong side politically. After that experience we both had great success forcing the old principal to admit to a big mistake .

I don't believe either one of us ever lost to our old school . I know I took great joy in beating the snot out of them every time we played.

I also saved Rick from doing life without parole at state prison . We were playing Mitchell at the Mid - South Coliseum in front of 11,142 screaming fans.

With the score tied 44 - 44 with 20 seconds to play there was time out on the floor . Rick made his final defensive adjustment & asked if there was any question. One of our stars on defense asked " Coach can we stop &, eat on the way home ?" It was all I could do to keep Rick from choking her .

I don't think either one of us ever beat Voo - Doo man Lionel Jones .

Rick took the Haywood Tomkittens to the state tournament & I went along to watch . First game he draws Bradley County & Coach Smiddy who had won 1200 games . I asked Rick if that bothered him . He said "Smiddy won all those games 3 on 3 . 5 on 5 he hasn't won as many as I have " Then Rick beat the pants off Bradley County .

Next up was heavy favorite & eventual Champ MT. Juliet . Haywood played great but came up 12 short . As we left the Murphy Center I was laughing & singing . Rick asked " What are you so happy about " I told him " I made an investment in the game & had you plus 15."

Rick & Dr Wine came to visit me in the Hospital after my triple by- pass . The nurses came to tell us to quieten down 3 times but ended up staying & laughing at the stories.

I LOVE YOU BROTHER & IT WAS A GREAT RIDE !

THANK YOU FOR READING

No comments:

Post a Comment