Tuesday, February 16, 2010

GOOD BYE OLD FRIEND

*** I was very sad to hear of the passing of Dana Kirk . I knew Dana when he was riding high at the top of his game . The Memphis State Tigers lead by Dana brought a new level of excitement to Memphis.
The entire team was from Memphis or very close to Memphis . Most Memphis neighborhoods had one or more guys playing on the Tigers .The whole city felt included.
Dana's daughter was one of my favorite students & Dana was so good to my son who was around 8 at the time . Dana always took time to talk with Rhett & had us out to practice several times . Dana's brother - in -law was one of my greatest players.

I believe Dana was the best X & O coach in Tiger history . If Dana had coached the last 2: 11 of the 2008 title game the Tigers would have been National Champs. So Long Partner.

*** Looking for Nate .
The years have been hard on my old boxing buds . Red Fortner, Little Billy Hendricks,Andy Reece & Jim Kidd have all passed away . Also Tick Tock Tucker & Sleepy Rutherford of the older group are gone .

A couple of years ago I was talking to Joey Hadley & I asked him " what ever happened to Nate Jackson ?" Nathaniel Jackson was the United States Light- heavyweight Champ in 1970 .

Nate was a Memphis guy , went to BTW I think . I haven't heard a word about Nate in almost 40 years . Mayor George Smith took Nate & I plus a couple of others to box on a card in Cincinnati. Took us up there in a funeral home limo . The Mayor of Jackson was our chauffeur & Sleepy Rutherford was our coach for the evening.

Nate was part of the most bizarre boxing match I ever witnessed. It was Nate vs Crazy Carl Summers at the Oman Arena in 1971. I will tell this story later .

Help me find Nate . If you find out anything give me a call or an e-mail .

**** If you have a story you want me to share { You Listening Rick} give me a call at 901 - 651 -8246 or email rockyjoegraves@yahoo.com

Thank You for reading .



No comments:

Post a Comment